Sunday, October 02, 2005

Walking around


I seem to have gotten a new weird habit
I just walk and walk and walk.
Not that I haven't done that before but I have a new pattern to it.

In the mornings I jump out of my door and my desperate eyes search for something pretty. (I am not talking about guys now) Then they usually fix upon some strange and wonderful "art nouveauish" architecture and my feet seem to be pulled as a magnet in that direction.
When my feet arrive in front of it my eyes goes into a new mode of desperate search (after they have devouvered the sight of the first one) and my feet obeys as a a pair of loving little puppies every time.
This has led me into some weird neighborhoods where I feel like the famous cat climbing a tree...I have no idea whatsoever have to get back down to where I was.
This again has led to me getting to know some new people. In general very compassionate saving kinda people, who seem to have a soft spot for foreigners standing in the middle of a street with a perplexed gaze in their eyes, looking around them in a confused manner, and walking in circles around themselves, whispering "Oh my, oh my, oh my, where the fuck am I?"

Well, yesterday this new hobby of mine led me to a completely new side of Barcelona. I was walking the cute little alleys with loudry hanging from the balconies and little (I love them) cheese shops, when suddenly the environment around me had seemed to change.

I had a distinct feeling that a lot of the people around me were kinda suspicious in motives, or to say it in other words, I felt like 90 percent of them were carrying guns.
also there were a lot of salsa and merengue played from the open windows. I had the feeling it was a good idea to hold tight to my purse and look totally penniless (if there is a facial expression I have rehearsed a lot its the "I am sooo broke, and have nothing valuable to steal" face) Not because of the Salsa and Merengue (Salsa has never been dangerous, except in circumstances involving a dancefloor, a place packed with horny, voyeuristic men and a single girl with a hurt ankle (that would be me), but because of the atmosphere, that certainly screamed "watch out" to my subconsciousness.(The very same message seemed to be lurking in my mind during the earlier mentioned "Salsa experience")
This neighborhood was a lot dirtier and people were singing out loud to themselves while passing me. (A "normal" Norwegian person would be shocked to their very core. Believe me, I know by experience, and looks I have been thrown in Norway)
Some guys whisteled and winked at me and made obscene gestures.
This felt very very familiar, but I wasn't sure why. It was like I had been there before a lot of times.
Then it struck me, it was like a "mini Caribbean".
It was funny, I wasn't scared at all. (as I think would be the response of a lot of foreign people entering this district) I kinda felt at home for a while, remembering the good days (when I was robbed 4 times in 8 months) in the Dominican republic.
Ahhhh, sweet memories

No comments:

Post a Comment