Saturday, March 25, 2006

Set yourself free by forgiving

  1. Go with the process. Forgiveness is a like a merry-go-round. Hop on at any point and the music will play and you'll get a full ride. Forgiving others, forgiving yourself, and being forgiven by another person are the tree horses on the "forgiveness-go-around." Ride on one and it's easier to ride the others. Extending forgiveness to others helps you to ask for the forgiveness that you need. So jump in the process and it'll get easier the longer you stay with it.
  2. Deal with your anger. It's natural and appropriate to be angry when someone sins against you. But what to do with the anger? Ignore it and I'm not protecting myself. Repress it and I'd get depressed and eventually I could start to become negative, bitter, and isolated. Turn it against myself and I'd feel bad that I was making an issue of it and I'd try to not feel or need anything. Instead, I let your anger point you to your underlying feelings - and express them. "Speak the truth in love"
  3. Feel your hurt. You can't heal what you don't feel! If you've been violated then you've been hurt. Whether loss, rejection, embarrassment, insecurity, or whatever, find someone safe to verbalize your pain and seek comfort from. This is the heart of the forgiveness process.
  4. Set boundaries. Are you susceptible to be wronged again in a similar way by the same person or someone else? Set appropriate limits
  5. Dont seek outer revenge. "The best revenge is to live well."

No comments:

Post a Comment